Friday, February 20, 2009

Hello!

May I begin my blogging adventure by thanking my daughter and daughters-in-laws for motivating me to start blogging. We do lose a bit of our privacy, but I can see how much more we gain from sharing in this format. Also, perhaps now that I have a blog , I will be able to post comments on each of their blogs. So, I'm off to share my opinions with whomever. This is what's on my mind today...

When I was a young mother, I was always tired. When I wined to my physician about this malady he replied, "Oh that's just Young Mother's Syndrome." But I'm ALWAYS tired, I groaned! He just chuckled and said, "Well, that usually goes away by the time the youngest is in high school." (I think I started to feel better when our youngest, The Fourth, started kindergarten.) Looking back, and being much kinder to myself now then I was then, I realize that part of my malaise was due to feeling isolated from other moms. It's important to connect and support each other. Women used to get together more. They socialized while they were working on projects together and helping each other. Although we use many time-saving devices, do we spend that saved time to nurture our friendships, or do we just get busier? We just need to let our hair down and admit we need each other, at every stage of our lives, but especially during that most draining time when so much of our energy is spent on our young children. Blogging serves this purpose.

Dr. Laura has some excellent links on her website for "home moms". She also posted a video at utube/drlaura in support of stay-at-home moms called "Say No to Day Orphanages." Yes, she is a tough little lady, but I'm glad there is a stong voice in the media in support of moms taking care of their children.

Thank-you Heatherlyn, Madeleine, Renee and Whitney for all the TLC you give your children, (my grandchildren!)

2 comments:

  1. It is very true! Everyone is this world needs other people. It makes ones life so much easier to have support from a friend in any aspect of life. I am so happy you started a blog. It is such a good way to keep in touch and updated. Happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you are starting a blog. You have a great writing style. I'm interested in your thoughts. You are a very insightful, intelligent woman.

    Also, I know that young mothers are easily isolated, but isolation is a subject that MOST people experience during their life time, throughout their life time. I think it might be especially bad for the elderly.

    Most people do much better when they share a part of themself, feel accepted and understood, and receive what those around them are willing to offer.

    ReplyDelete